A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Day one–surgery day

So I’ll try to work backwards to recreate my goings on.

Tuesday morning: woke up at approx 5am. Left the house at aprox 5:45am. Crummy weather, rainy and cold but so what? Said good by to the dog and the kids. Everyone is nervous. Get to the hospital around 6:25am. Reported to admissions at 6:30am. Admissions was kinda weird, there were a handful of us checking in at that time. Kinda felt like a heard of cattle off to slaughter or something. After signing some paperwork we went to the short procedure unit which looked like a mini emergency room. Dh and I were shuttled into a teeny weeny little space with a curtain. I was told to undress and wait for the docs. Which I did. Although it seems long at the time looking back things did not take too long. I was hooked up to an IV and chatted with several nurses, doctors, and the anesthesiologist who seemed more interested in my ceramic (clear braces) and the fact that I had a tubal ligation at the same time as my last child delivery. We decided to go with general anesthesia rather than a spinal. Anyway, I was starting to get a little nervous but who wouldn’t? it wasn’t long before I had to kiss dh goodbye and they wheeled me away. The operating room looked nothing like the ones on tv: it was this big VERY COLD room with a metal table on it and a bunch of other weird looking things that I cant even relate to. I assume they were waiting for the sleeping things to kick in as they strapped me down (that part was kind of disconcerting) but the warm blankets fresh out of the oven felt wonderful. The last thing I remember is someone asking me if I felt tired or something and saying no (and being slightly concerned that I might be awake for the procedure).

The next thing I remember I was being wheeled from one room to another, which I think was an elevator, down the hall into my room. I must have been coming from the recovery room into my regular room. I remember being sleepy and the ride being bumpy. Once I was transferred to my bed I remember being in and out of consciousness for the next several many hours. DH stayed by my side and read a book or whatever he did. I vaguely remember having conversations and sending text messages (boy those must have been insanely funny!) with different people, including doctors. I know I was not coherent so a lot of what they said to me never registered which I guess is normal. I remember being REALLY sleepy all day and wanting to chat more with DH but not being able to because I kept falling asleep. I was hooked up to the IV with the good meds in it. you push a little button and instantly are in LA LA land. Problem is though, this particular IV is in the back of my hand and hurt whenever I pushed the button (not that the pain stopped me from using it!). Not quite pain, really but more than discomfort. Is there another word between discomfort and pain?

I was not in a single room as I had dreamed of/hoped for. Instead I shared a room with a young woman whom I did not get to see but heard her mother’s voice CONSTANTLY. Later that evening as the impending snow storm approached, the girl was moved to a different room. Don’t know why. My very brief hopes of being alone that night were dashed when in moved a 79 year old woman with a lot of medical problems. She became my roommate for the next 3 days.

Being in a hospital is like being in a psych ward. There are lots of strange noises at all hours and of course, they are worse at night. Couple these noises with the fact that you’re on some good pain meds and apparently hallucinate and hear things that aren’t there (more about that later)! During the first night, I of course, didn’t sleep well because of all the strange hospital noises, plus because of all the strange hospital goings on. As if hearing my roommies’ belabored breathing, her oxygen machine, her snoring, her talking, and her too lout TV weren’t enough entertainment; we were visited constantly by hospital staff. Seemed like every hour on the hour someone (different someones) came in to take blood or check my vitals or give me more meds or check my catheter or check my incision, etc. It was like a parade of “nice” people. I haven’t been called “honey” and “dear” so much in my life.

So that’s mostly how day one went. I think the most difficult aspects of day one were: the anticipation before surgery (fear of the unknown and all that) and the sore throat. My throat was very sore and dry because of the tube they’d inserted down my throat with the general anesthesia. I am so GLAD I was unconscious before I was intubated!! Because of a threat of nausea and vomiting, I was only allowed to have water with my meds (and really only a sippy sip) and ice chips. Seems like the ice chips melted so fast; probably because I kept dozing in between chip sips. My lips were as dry as my throat but I was too tired and unwilling to move around to locate any chapstick. Note to others: keep a bag of essentials nearby (like on the bed tray) for recovering the day of surgery (like lip balm and perhaps a small tube of unscented lotion). I really did not have a need for much else except maybe a comb or a toothbrush but you’re so groggy you don’t care all that much on day one. All I really cared about was getting some liquids. So day one all I was allowed to “eat” was pills, sips of water, and ice chips. Day two (Weds) breakfast I was upgraded to a liquid diet. And don’t think I didn’t ask for food all day on day one. I did. In between napping I asked for food. Meanwhile the roomie was porking out on pancakes and coffee, I was sucking on ice chips. SO ON TO DAY TWO: WEDNESDAY.

Regarding Queen of Everything

Her highness is still queen of planet blortnick and also a MODEL.

Love is closed.